Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Word Salad


Tripp sings "Itsy Bitsy Pider" 500 times a day. If you hide in the next room, he will obligingly sing it en espanol. He is enthralled by language. Our new game is for me to read aloud from cards depicting heavy equipment vehicles that each begin with a letter of the alphabet: A is for Articulated Hauler, B is for Boom Truck, V is for Vibratory Compactor. I read a bit about each machine while Tripp studies the picture, pronounces, "I don't have one of those," then places them all in a neat stack.

On a recent Sunday, Tripp was bouncing on his new bed. His mother and I were folding laundry. Correction: I was only allowed to fold the sheets and towels, and to match pairs of tiny socks. My daughter imagines me to be geometrically impaired laundry-wise.

"Where did Mommy go on business?" Katherine questioned her son.

"Um, California!"  He pointed to me. "You say," he instructed. "Ca-li-forn-ya."

"Ca-li-forn-ya," I repeated dutifully. He launched from bed to pillow to stool to ottoman. He covered himself with his quilt.

"What are you doing, silly?" asked his mother.

"He's pretending," I told her.

"I pretending I'm a dog. Woof." The dog emitted a tiny whimper.

"What's wrong, Dog?" I asked.

"I'm hungry. I need a bone."

"Here's one," I said, scratching a place on the off white rug with my fingers. "You must have forgotten where you buried it."

"Yes," the dog replied. "Put it over dere."

"Here you go."

Another small whine escaped the bundle of quilt.

"What is it now?" asked his mother.

"I need another bone." This was followed by something muffled.

"What did he say?"

His mother's shoulders shook with mirth and she had to lean against the changing table for support.

"He says he needs another bone to take to sleep. Oh, boy, between the two of you I feel like I'm in a crazy house."

"Did I tell you?" she said to me, "Tripp has named his stuffed butterflies Bucky and Salmon? I have no idea why."

At this, the grandmother was overtaken with giggles and needed to excuse herself before she peed on the off white rug like a dog.

*

Mom was sitting in the sun wrapped in a green shawl. I was eavesdropping from an upstairs window as she and Jeanne played the alphabet game. 

"Okay, Mrs. V,  give me a word that begins with the letter O."

C'mon, Mom, I cheered her silently. 

"I can't seem to - oh, dear -"

"I'll start," Jeanne interrupted promptly. "Onion."

"Oxymoron!" I bellowed.

"The heavens have spoken," Jeanne laughed. "The smarty pants heavens."

"Oscillate," said Mom. 

"Obsidian!" I yelled. 

"What's that?" Mom frowned. "Anyway, down here we're winning."

*

Later, Mom roused from a stuporous nap to glance at her watch. An ingrained movement, requiring little thought, mere habit.

"Where's my watch?" she cried.

"Right here. See, it's right here." I touched her wrist, tapped the face of her watch.

"No, it's gone!" 

"Here it is, Mom."

"Oh... I really think I must be going. It's been lovely, but, if we want to change before the party..."

"Whose party?' 

"Well, you know..."

"Is it at Dimmy's?" I queried, referring to her grandmother, whose kindly presence frequents conversation these days.

"Yes. We'll be 16, I think." She peered ahead, as if picturing an engagement book. "You and me and of course..."

"Dimmy."

"Yes. I think I really should be getting back."

"Okay, Mom. I'll drive you home. Not to worry, there's still plenty of time to change."

Oh, good. Thank you, Sweetie. You played well today, I'm sorry I was so lousy."

"Mom, you weren't - " But, she'd fallen back to sleep. She nodded, smiled, dozed. I hoped that to whatever soiree her mind had taken her, her dinner partners were handsome, athletic and sublime, her dance card full.


*
























No comments:

Post a Comment