Monday, November 23, 2015

Watching My Words



I'm sitting on a folding chair watching Tripp wield a small lacrosse stick. A hanging net separates me from the group of boys and their two coaches as they run drills on spongy green indoor turf. Tripp prances through a series of hula hoops, carefully cradling the ball.

"Knees high, boys!" urges Coach 1.

They are to stop behind red, yellow and blue plastic cones, place a foot forward, and heave the ball at Coach 2, who is playing goalie. The ball flies roughly 4 feet.

"That's it, boys!"

They bend their knees and scoop the plastic balls and run in circles like a herd of unruly wild ponies. Some of the boys lie down on the turf. One or two yawn. Each time Tripp runs by me, he waves. I film him with my iPhone so I can message his Mom, who is home with the flu. In my excitement, I confuse photo with video on the camera AP, and catch fuzzy snippets of Tripp in his red shorts and grey tee shirt, poised mid-gallop, stick aloft.

I notice him fiddling with his nose, and beckon him over.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

"I have a stringy booger."

"That's okay, " I say reassuringly. "It's fine; there's no blood."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive. Now, go on back out there."

When I turn around, a lacrosse mom with long blonde hair has taken my seat, and has turned it in toward a circle of younger women. Really? I think.

After practice, Tripp leans against me and sips from his water bottle. His small body is damp.

"I think we can play some games," he says, looking toward an arcade in another room.

"Okay, how about just one game?"

He chooses a racing car and gives the wheel a few quick spins.

"I think we can get some candy," he says.

"I think not," I tell him.

He holds my hand as we walk toward the car. 

"Can I play with my Bat Cave that you gave me when we get home?"

"Of course you can," I reply. "Maybe Ollie can play too."

"No, I think not," says Tripp.

When he's buckled into his car seat, and I'm backing out, a few of the skinny lacrosse moms are standing in the middle of the parking area, gabbing.

"Okay, you dumbos, how about moving out of the way?" I mutter.

"I do not like that word you used, Beauma. It makes me very sad," a mournful voice calls from the back seat.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said they were 'dumbos'."

"They are my friends," says Tripp. 

"I'm so sorry," I repeat, "But, say, are you ready to get some soup for Mommy?"

"Chicken noodle?"

"Yes."

"I like the kind with extra noodles."

"What music shall we listen to on the way to the store?" I ask.

"Cheerleader," replies Tripp promptly. "It's my favorite song."

We listen to Cheerleader six times in a row, and then find the chicken noodle soup with extra noodles, a packet of Ricola, and a bag of orange clementines at Stop N Shop.

When we get home, I tell his mother what a big help Tripp's been hefting the net bag of clementines onto the scale and through the scanner.

"The scanner? How do you know about a scanner?" his mother smiles.

Tripp shrugs. "I just do."

We have grilled cheese sandwiches and Tripp and his mother and Ollie slurp chicken noodle soup with extra noodles. Then we sit in the warm November sun and blow bubbles.

"BUBBLES!!" Ollie squeals. "POP!" and "BYE BYE, BUBBLES," he sighs as they float filmy and rainbow colored up into the sky and out of reach.


*








No comments:

Post a Comment