Sunday, June 21, 2015

First They Took My Hippopotamus

I lead Ollie, clutching a small bag of Pirate Booty up the steps of the smallest slide in the park, seat him and give him a bit of a push to start him off.

"Whee!" I say.

"Whee?" His mother's eyes swivel toward us. "Mom, Ollie has never been on a slide, and he has food in his mouth."

We have spent the morning playing naked hide-and-seek (Tripp being the only one without clothes,)  dashing through my living room, hiding, then jumping out and shrieking BOO! until we are breathless. We have had an Exploration Walk around the neighborhood, Ollie splashing through puddles in his tiny Crocs, and discovering the flag pole, and learning to say "grass." Tripp bears arms: tiny plastic nunchucks ("Not numchucks, Beauma,") and sais




Tripp is heavily into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and has at least one turtle and its accompanying weapon on his person wherever we go. (Michaelangelo hitched a ride on the tram when we went to feed the goats at Hildene.) It is constantly "GO TIME" for the heroes in a half shell and a certain four-year-old. I find myself exclaiming "TURTLE POWER!" throughout the day.

Back at the park, Tripp has rediscovered the slide he christened "the waterspout" last summer, while Ollie explores sand.



"Do you remember how you made me sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" while you went up and down?" I reminisce.

"Yeah," says Tripp. "Do it now."

"Now?"

"Yes." He points to the opening of the waterspout. "Lean down there and start singing as I climb up."

"Okay," I sigh.

We rehearse until I get the timing just right: I must sing the part about the spider going up slowly, pause while the spider rights itself within the waterspout, raise the volume of my voice for "DOWN came the rain," and raise my arms in a circle for the sun.

Then it's time for the bigger slides and joining other children.

"I ate my hotdog already," Tripp informs a little girl by way of introduction.

Ollie practices climbing up and down the stairs and shouts, "Go! and Yay!" with full body quivering ecstasy each time someone slides down. 

"You got this, Beauma," his mother directs from the picnic towel.

Ollie rides astride my lap, his tiny face crinkly with joy. WHEE!

"Go FI!" Ollie yells. "Go!"

"Slide," corrects his mother.

"Yeah, FI!"

Tripp is sitting in a disconsolate heap on the wood chips.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"First they took my hippopotamus," he points at two small children, one with mayonnaise at the corner of his mouth. "Now, they're on my triceratops."

"First, it's not your hippopotamus," I explain. "It belongs to everyone who plays at the park."

"Well, can you get the bug off when it's my turn?"

"Sure."

Later, while Ollie naps, Tripp and I zip to the bookstore for a treat.

"Do you remember coming here last summer?" I ask as we walk inside. Tripp has my hand in his right hand, and a transformer version of Donatello in his left.

"At what age was I?" 

"You were three."


After conversations with Erik, Jess and Fran, we emerge with a Lego Turtle Van Takedown.

"Oh, only 6 to 12 pieces," Tripp reads on the front of the box.

"Actually, that means this is for 6-12 year-olds. There are 368 pieces," I say, envisioning a long afternoon poring over Lego schematics.



"Well, actually I'm a big boy, so we can do it, Beauma."


*













2 comments:

  1. Only the other day I realized the most important thing about grandchildren is to catch the moments, because they pass so quickly and they never ever happen the same way again. I would say you caught these moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been awhile since I've written anything, and it's fun to write about them. I miss our class and you! xx

      Delete