Friday, July 3, 2015

Gossamer


Mom and I are taking a slow turn around the neighborhood. She's wearing navy blue slacks, beige shoes that close with velcro, and a pink shirt with black dots. Her pale blue eyes are skyward, focused on another reality just beyond this one, peopled with shadowy figures. She traces the shapes, shops, and shoes she sees there in the air with her fingers.

A  trim, petite, perfectly coiffed elderly woman makes her way to us slowly on her walking stick. 

"Hello!" she says brightly, "It's so wonderful to see you, Helene." She pats my mother's hand, and Mom slips briefly into autopilot: "Wonderful to see you," she responds.

I spy an errant silver hair on my mother's slacks and pluck it off surreptitiously. 

The woman, Mrs. McBean, has a tiny perky terrier named Pablo, also perfectly coiffed. I'm suddenly ashamed of my hiking shorts and flip flops, the traces of recently tinted eyebrows that make me look - I'm convinced - like Eddie Munster.

Liz, Mom's nurse, says, "Oh, look, Mrs. Victor, it's Pablo."

"Volka?" Mom frowns, scanning the skies.

"Pablo," we repeat.

"Well, dear, I'm off to play bridge," Mrs. McBean says.

My heart aches for Mom, who played duplicate bridge regularly with her pals. Now her pals are mostly gone. There's faithful Winnie, 98, who comes for lunch on occasion, and Nancy from the church, who comes Sundays to give communion. Mom frets over reading her part of the lesson, and if her anxiety persists, she watches Frank (Sinatra) on utube, gently tapping her fingers in time to Fly Me to the Moon. A private concert.

Rosie calls occasionally from Florida, her frail voice whispery soft. It's a privilege to witness the tenderness between them, the gossamer connection of 70 years.  

We go as far as the mailbox and turn slowly toward home. Liz is careful, patiently pushing the wheelchair ever so slowly, so Mom doesn't get disoriented and think she's pitching forward.

I cut a big bunch of vivid blue and violet hydrangeas and put them right before her eyes, but she doesn't register them. At least not today. I resist the urge to say, "They're right here, Mom. See? See?"










2 comments:

  1. ahhhh...so poignant. Sometime give her a hug and a kiss from me. Not important that she won't remember me, but I am sad for old age...you're helping her so gracefully...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be sure to give her a hug and a kiss from you, Adele. Thank you. xxx

    ReplyDelete